Although Princess Diana has been gone for over 23 years, she’s still very much a cultural icon. On top of that, Netflix’s series, “The Crown,” has introduced Princess Diana in its current season. With the two in mind, The Drake, a Hilton Hotel, is currently offering a package that’s inspired by her 1996 visit to the historic Chicago landmark property.
The “Crowning a Lady” package includes a stay in the Princess Diana Suite (it used to be called the Presidential Suite, but the hotel renamed it after her visit), along with what she specially requested for her stay, and special “Diana-like” touches:
- A stationary bicycle and mineral water
- Fresh forget-me-nots (they were Princess Diana’s favorite flowers) placed throughout the suite
- A copy of “ABBA: The Official Photo Book” (ABBA was her favorite band)
- A bottle of Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant Paris (the Princess’ favorite perfume)
- An in-room set up to binge-watch “The Crown” (that, obviously, is a more modern touch)
Princess Diana also enjoyed some of her meals at The Drake Hotel, and those have also been recreated:
- An exclusive afternoon tea service at the hotel’s Palm Court, which will incorporate her favorite tea, Rose Pouchong.
- A three-course dinner includes a starter include mixed field greens, hearts of palm, walnut, chevre croutons and sherry. The main course includes King Salmon, citrus, asparagus, red pepper, ratatouille, ‘gnocchi romaine’. And save room for dessert, which includes cinnamon biscotti soufflé glace, pear and berries. You’ll also have availability of her requested cocktail, a Peach Bellini.
Save for some minor updates to keep it modern, the 1,500-square-foot Princess Diana suite has been left exactly as it was when she spent 2 nights there in June of 1996. At the time, she was visiting Chicago to raise money for cancer research at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The Drake‘s “Crowning A Lady” package begins at $32,000. A minimum two-night stay is required and upgrades are available. The package will be available through December 15 and reservations for it will only be taken by phone.
If you don’t have room in your schedule (or wallet. THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS???) for the package, you can still see the Princess Diana Suite online, as The Drake Hotel has a 360° tour of it (click on 360° tour, then Rooms, then Princess Diana Suite).
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and get emailed notifications of when we post. Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group – we have 16,000+ members and we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary