Home Credit Cards Why I’m Paranoid About Meeting An American Express Spending Requirement

Why I’m Paranoid About Meeting An American Express Spending Requirement

by joeheg

I’m getting ready to sign up for another AMEX card and need to meet a minimum spending requirement. I had to cancel an existing AMEX card to be eligible for another card. This means I once again have to worry about the Rewards Abuse Team (affectionately called RAT). Please stop saying it’s the RAT Team because that would be the Rewards Abuse Team Team. But if you say that, you probably still type in your PIN number at the ATM machine. If you don’t get that joke, maybe someone will explain it to you.

The RAT’s job is to find any reason to deny a signup bonus to any cardholder they feel is trying to game the system and sign up for cards just for the bonuses. Why AMEX thinks this practice is a bad idea would make you question why they offer huge bonuses in the first place if it’s bad for business but better to put the blame on the customers, right?

A big no-no for AMEX is buying gift cards to meet minimum spending requirements. The presence of a single gift card purchase has been the reason for the RAT to deny a bonus, even if you’d otherwise meet the requirement without it.

So when I’m trying to meet the minimum spend on an AMEX card, I watch every purchase, making sure there’s nothing to put up a warning flag. I’m not buying any gift cards, not even a $50 Starbucks card at a drugstore to give as a farewell gift to a co-worker.

349-1024x538

I guess this is just an extension of my overly cautious approach to earning miles and points. While I want to earn enough points to allow us to travel in comfort and style, I’d prefer to just coast along under the radar and not make any waves.

Am I being overly cautious or just careful?? What’s your experience? How much has the AMEX RAT let you get away with before they slam the door in your face?

Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and get emailed notifications of when we post. Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group – we have 15,000+ members and we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!

Sparkle Pony March 14, 2019 - 9:59 am

I’m trying to dip my toe back into the Am Ex pool after being completely fed up with their inconsistent customer service. I was shocked to see a bonus post before I thought it should. Maybe we technically met the minimum spend, but it was considering credits part of the total. The net wasn’t the minimum spend, but it posted anyway. I’m torn between letting it sit there and see what happens, or cashing out the points before they’re clawed back. I’d keep putting more spend on the card to be on the safe side, but I’m working on another minimum spend. And god knows I’m not going to buy some gift cards for future use!

Toys Samurai September 19, 2020 - 10:58 pm

Never had any problem with buying giftcards while I am earning for the bonus. Maybe that’s because I had spent so much more on other purchases that the giftcards seem just like normal transactions.

AlohaDaveKennedy September 20, 2020 - 7:55 am

“Affectionately called RAT?” Really? Even Willard eventually learned that RATs are not your friends and deserve no affection. RATs bite!

DavidB September 20, 2020 - 10:45 am

Hope the RAT catches you. It’s hacking the rules that raises costs and screws things for those who play by the spirit of the rules, not encourage ethically suspect activity!

JJ Wonka September 20, 2020 - 11:06 am

Dude, you are way too conservative and too cautious in regards to not buying gift cards to help meet minimum spend requirements.

There’s no way Amex would know if you bought a $50 gift card at a drugstore, if they don’t have level three data, and you combined that purchase with something else to make it look like a $51.12 purchase. Those are reasonable spends at that type of store.

if you’re going to avoid even buying a $50 gift card, then I’d have to question if it’s even worth the effort to meet the minimum spend requirement through completely organic spend and why even bother going for a new credit card at all?

With $3,000 worth of home improvement items for home upgrade at home Depot trigger the rat? they also sell gift cards there and you could certainly buy that many dollars worth of gift cards at home Depot. How would they know? Are there any valid reports to show that I spend at places that also sell gift cards, without level 3 data have caused bonus denials?

TS September 20, 2020 - 11:39 am

I don’t understand the anger towards them. Amex (like all CC companies) offer large bonuses to attract new customers, and their spending. They clearly state what isn’t allowed. People who sign up and find loopholes to get the points without any real spend, or just minimal spend, are knowingly gaming the system, and breaking the rules. If you buy a $50 gift card at CVS out of $5k in normal spend, I don’t think they’ll bat an eye. But if you’re buying 100 $50 gift cards, and nothing else, then they should review the account, and pull back the points.

If people keep abusing the system, it could devalue the points, and/or cause the CC companies to start giving smaller bonuses…