Once upon a time, years and years ago, Sharon and I decided that when got married in 2002, we would honeymoon in Hawaii. We were going to take a cruise around all of the Hawaiian islands and had even booked and arranged all the plans for the trip, including flights. Then the unimaginable happened on the morning of September 11, 2001. We watched the horrific events happen on TV on the morning we were set to finalize the details of our wedding with our Disney wedding planner.
During the aftermath of the attacks, with the decreased amount of travel, the cruise line we had booked our honeymoon with went bankrupt and stopped all operations. We already had set plans to visit Hawaii with our flights so we decided to make the best of it and planned a whole new trip with about 2 months notice. We focused on two islands, Maui (where we were landing from our flight) and Hawaii (the Big Island). Now, the Kilauea volcano on the Big Island had been erupting on a continuous basis for over 30 years, since 1983 (it still is). Sharon loves volcanoes so spending some time near Volcanoes National Park seemed to be the best plan. With the limited internet available in 2001, I found 2 nights at a bed and breakfast in the nearby Volcano Village, HI and we hoped for the best.
Continue reading “That Time When We Stayed Up The Road From An Active Volcano”
Happy Sunday, travel friends! Here are some articles we’ve read this week from other bloggers (and other sources) that we think you may like, as well, so we’re passing them along.
Happy Saturday-before-Christmas, friends! If you need a break from last-minute holiday happenings, here’s a quick recap of the posts we wrote this week:
This week Joe wrote about:
• How planning for intra-Europe flights was an OCD nightmare come true.
• What to do if you get sick while at Universal Orlando.
• When we stayed up the road from an active volcano.
• The bonus points system Hilton Hotels will have in early 2018.
• Why you need to diversify your miles and points portfolio.
Sharon wrote about:
• Google Maps’ latest enhancement, a public toilet indicator app.
• An airline doing good in a time of travel tragedy.
• The new water park that’s coming to Central Florida.
• The TSA’s recommendations for flying during the holidays – and it’s FUNNY!
• Her report on Bagrider: the carry-on bag that doubles as a baby stroller.
Like this post? We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just once or twice a day). Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!