Happy Wednesday to all of our travel friends, both near and far! Here are some articles we’ve read from other bloggers (and other sources) that we think you may like, as well, so we’re passing them along.
Hoaxes and scams. If you’re on Facebook, you know you’ve seen then. You can win two free tickets on Southwest Airlines! Or on Delta Airlines! Or on JetBlue! Or you can get a free Disney Cruise! Or a free Celebrity Cruise! Or a free Princess Cruise! Or you can win an all-expenses-paid vacation! Or an RV! All you have to do is like this page! Or share this page! Or send it to 13 of your closest friends! Or reply to this message with any number between 1 and 100!
Hoaxes have been around for about as long as people have been buying and selling things. Whether it was a traveling salesman hawking a mysterious liquid guaranteed to stop everything that ailed you to a Nigerian woman who said she lost her husband,
needed a small loan, and would pay you tenfold after her inheritance comes in, scams have been preying on the hopeful, the kind-hearted and the naive for centuries. Nowadays the hoaxes have become more high-tech, received via email, robocalls and Facebook, but they’re still all the same – give something to someone (money, contact info, shares, likes & replies) and receive nothing in return. Here’s a quick explanation from consumeraffairs.com of why scammers do this:
Hello, friends! In case you missed it, here’s a quick recap of our posts this week:
Joe wrote about:
- why airline prices drive him crazy. They go up, they go down, and how do you figure out when to finally buy?!?!?!
- the different rules that each bank has when you apply for their reward credit cards.
- some important things to consider before signing up for reward credit cards.
- the summer hotel promotions that are going on this season. If you’re planning to be out of town this summer, take a look!
- what you can do if you think you may miss your connecting flight. Joe totally saved the day for us a couple of weeks ago when we were delayed because of weather.
Sharon wrote about:
- the different ways to recognize a travel-related hoax on Facebook (because really, Delta is not giving away free flights and the Disney Cruise Line is not giving away free cruises any time soon).
- the sales both Southwest and JetBlue were offering (these expired on 6/1, So if you still wanted to try to get them, sorry, too late. Better luck next time!).
- a link that she thought would make most Disney and travel fans giggle.
- her #TBT series of their trip to Japan in April 2005, this week with memories of watching Kyoto’s cherry blossoms in the rain (again) and their not uneventful travel to Nagoya.
- post for newbies explained the difference in plugs, outlets and voltage around the world, so if you travel internationally, you can be prepared before you go. Cuz fried electronics are not good.
Like this post? We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just once or twice a day). Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!