Who’d ever think that a song written in 1977 would still be making millions of dollars per year, 45 years later? And not so much for the song itself (although I’m sure Jimmy Buffet is making a pretty penny on those royalties too), but for the properties it’s spawned.
After Margaritaville (the song) was released in ’77, Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, a chain of combined casual dining restaurants/bars/retail outlets, was developed in 1985. Its first location was in Key West, where Buffett had lived for a time, and where he developed his “Drunk Caribbean Rock n’Roll” sound.
There are currently 30 Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville restaurants in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, The Cayman Islands, Turks & Caicos Islands, and The Bahamas. Along with those, there are also 8 Air Margaritaville airport locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Mexico, Brazil, Panama and Jamaica. AND there are 12 Margaritaville retail outlets (without restaurants) across the U.S., plus one Margaritaville Casino, located in Atlantic City – it opened in 2013.
Buffet has had some other launches over the years:
- 1993: Margaritaville Records
- 2006: LandShark Lager beer is produced under the Margaritaville Brewing label
- 2012 – Margaritavilla Online game was produced for 2 years
- 2022 – Margaritaville at Sea Paradise, a cruise ship under the Margaritaville at Sea cruise company
Margaritaville Hotels, Resorts & Vacation Clubs
Probably of most interest to travelers, Margaritaville Hotels, Resorts, Cottages, Cabins & RV Resorts were established in 2010. They are currently located in:
- Palm Springs, CA
- Anna Maria Sound, FL
- Auborndale, FL
- Hollywood Beach, FL
- Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Key West, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Pensacola Beach, FL
- Atlanta, GA
- Buford, GA
- Lake Lanier, GA
- Bossier City, LA
- Biloxi, MS
- Osage Beach, MO
- Las Vegas, NV
- New York, NY
- Medford, OR
- Rio Mar, Puerto Rico
- Lake Conroe, TX
- Gatlinburg, TN
- Nashville, TN
- Pigeon Forge, TN
International locations include:
- Nassau, Bahamas
- Costa Rica
- Cap Cana, Dominican Republic (all inclusive)
- Cancun, Mexico (all inclusive)
- St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Each space has a variety of activities, depending upon location, but all are family friendly.
However Margaritaville has just announced its newest resort, opening next year, will be totally different from the rest: it will be their first adults-only all-inclusive property.
From their press release:
Karisma Hotels & Resorts, the award-winning collection of properties spanning Latin America, the Caribbean and Mexico, and Margaritaville, the global lifestyle brand synonymous with fun and escapism, will open the doors to the third property under the Island Reserve brand, Margaritaville® Island Reserve Riviera Maya, in early 2023.
The new resort will offer 355 suites within 13 room categories, 5 restaurants, 4 bars, 2 swimming pools, 2 pickleball courts, a world-class St. Somewhere Spa, the first LandShark Brewery in Mexico, and more.
Located in the Riviera Maya, a stretch of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s northeastern Yucatán Peninsula, activities at the all-inclusive resort will run the gamut from adventure to nature, and from history to gourmet food experiences. The resort will also offer packages for weddings, meetings and special events.
Other amenities will include:
- The Island Reserve Inclusive Experience which includes five-star global dining, unparalleled service, luxurious amenities, spectacular entertainment, and immersive experiences and activities.
- Mexico’s first and only LandShark Brewery, serving refreshing lagers, smokehouse classics, and ongoing live music
- Weekly events like TropRock-style musical performances, pop-up pickleball contests, pool parties, and more
- A 10,000-square-foot spa with nine relaxation rooms and a cutting-edge fitness center
- The largest Sky Wedding rooftop terrace in the entire Island Reserve portfolio
- Ballrooms for special events and conference space for up to 400 people
- 3 free-form swimming pools for refreshing dips in between activities
- Bespoke vacation-planning services
- 24-hour room service to satisfy your cravings around the clock
The resort is currently taking reservations, with discounts of upwards of 51% in savings and $400 in resort credits.
More info can be found on the Margaritaville Island Reserve Rivierea Maya website.
All of that, just because of a song. No wonder why Jimmy Buffett is worth, according to several “celeb net worth” sites, somewhere around $600 million!
Feature Photo: Margaritaville® Island Reserve Riviera Maya
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Want to sponsor a post, write something for Your Mileage May Vary, or put ads on our site? Click here for more info.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and sign up to get emailed notifications of when we post.
Whether you’ve read our articles before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary