Marriott Bonvoy offers several different credit cards. It can get confusing because both American Express and Chase offer cards that earn points in the Bonvoy program. However, the products don’t overlap. American Express is the only bank permitted to issue a business credit card.
Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
The current sign-up bonus for the card with our referral link is 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
Here is our referral link. The referral will be for the Bonvoy Brilliant personal card. To see the offer for the business card, click on “Looking for a Business Card?”
We receive bonus Marriott Bonvoy points if you sign up with our link.
$125 Annual Fee
When spending on the card, you earn points in the Marriott Bonvoy program as follows:
- Earn 6 points for every dollar of eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties
- Earn 4 points for every dollar of purchases at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases
Let’s look at what benefits you get with Marriott for having the card:
- Free in-room premium internet (when booking directly through Marriott). There’s quite a list of hotels that don’t participate in the free premium internet benefit, that can be found here.
- Complimentary Silver Elite Status. Ability to earn Gold Elite status if you spend $35,000 or more on eligible purchases in a calendar year
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits to be used to reach the next level of status. A maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits will be provided per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both a small business Marriott Bonvoy Card account and a consumer Marriott Bonvoy Card account; then, you may receive a combined maximum of 30 Elite Night Credits (15 per Card account). This benefit is not exclusive to Credit Cards offered by American Express.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
Ways To Use Marriott Bonvoy Points
Points earned with the Marriott Bonvoy Business AMEX card can be used to stay at Marriott properties. Also, you’re able to transfer points to many different airline frequent flyer programs (possibly with a bonus, depending on how many points you transfer). That’s not counting the additional options of Marriott Bonvoy Moments (which I explain later in this post).
Points can be used for award stays at any of the Marriott Bonvoy hotels. This covers 30 chains worldwide:
- The Ritz-Carlton
- St. Regis
- JW Marriott
- Ritz-Carlton Reserve
- The Luxury Collection
- W Hotels
- Marriott Hotels
- Marriott Vacation Club
- Delta Hotels
- Le Meriden
- Autograph Collection
- Design Hotels
- Renaissance Hotels
- Tribute Portfolio
- Gaylord Hotels
- Courtyard Hotels
- Four Points
- SpringHill Suites
- Protea Hotels
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- AC Hotels
- Aloft Hotels
- Moxy Hotels
- Marriott Executive Apartments
- Residence Inn
- TownPlace Suites
You can transfer points to the frequent flyer programs of over 30 different airlines. The transfer ratio is 3 points to 1 mile for most airlines and you get a bonus of 5,000 extra miles when you transfer 60,000 points. That means it’s best to transfer only in 60,000 point increments, where your 60,000 points will give you 25,000 miles. You also get a 10% bonus when sending points to United.
|Aer Lingus AerClub||3:1|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||3:1|
|Air France-KLM Flying Blue||3:1|
|Air New Zealand Airpoints||200:1|
|Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™||3:1|
|American Airlines AAdvantage®||3:1|
|ANA Mileage Club||3:1|
|Asiana Airlines Asiana Club||3:1|
|British Airways Executive Club||3:1|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||3:1|
|Copa Airlines ConnectMiles||3:1|
|Hainan Airlines Fortune Wings Club||3:1|
|Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles®||3:1|
|Japan Airlines JAL Mileage Bank||3:1|
|Korean Air SKYPASS||3:1|
|LATAM Airlines LATAM Pass||3:1|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||3:1|
|Qatar Airways Privilege Club||3:1|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer®||3:1|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards®||3:1|
|TAP Air Portugal Miles&Go||3:1|
|Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus||3:1|
|Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles||3:1|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||3:1|
|Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer||3:1|
Other uses for Marriott Bonvoy points
There are also other interesting ways for you to spend your points. One of those is the Marriott Bonvoy Moments program.
The program is just starting up after a pause. However, this New Orleans weekend package for May has already sold out.
- 2-night hotel stay at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
- Bayou cocktail reception and 3-course Cajun dinner at Toups Meatery with Chef Isaac Toups
- Private dining experience with a welcome cocktail reception and 3-course wine-paired dinner at Compère Lapin with Chef Nina Compton
- Private concert at Preservation Hall, followed by a cocktail reception with the All-Star Musicians
- Transportation to/from all venues (excluding airport transfers)
- Breakfast each morning
- Themed New Orleans culinary & historical guide
- Themed gift
We visited Preservation Hall and ate at Compère Lapin on our last trip and you can’t go wrong with either as a normal guest. I’d love to have a private concert and a 3-course wine-paired dinner.
Sign Up Bonus Restrictions
There are some major restrictions on getting the 100,000-point bonus.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
Got all that?
Amex RAT Team disclaimer
As is normal with American Express cards, they have the right to shut you down whenever they want for any reason they deem acceptable.
If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus points to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
If you meet all the requirements, the 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy point sign-up bonus is a solid incentive. The Bonvoy Business card does have some interesting bonus categories, earning extra points for your wireless phone bill and shipping charges. Other cards also provide bonuses in those categories, but not many.
Now that you’re able to stack the 15-night credit from this card with the 15 nights from a personal Bonvoy card, You’re guaranteed Gold Elite status and are only 20 nights away from Platinum Elite status.
If you’re looking at the free night certificate value, it’s questionable if you’re doing much more than breaking even for the $125 annual fee. There eventually is a point when you need to ask how many free nights you need every year.
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Want to sponsor a post, write something for Your Mileage May Vary or put ads on our site? Click here for more info.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and sign up to get emailed notifications of when we post.
Whether you’ve read our articles before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary