There are some people who like to have a little bit of fun with hotel staff, so they purposely put in weird requests before their stay (here are a bunch of them). But some people staying in hotels have certain questions because they just don’t get it. Others just have REALLY unrealistic expectations. Here are some of the craziest seemingly genuine questions people have asked hotel staff, as per Reddit…
- A guest came downstairs to the front desk which, like most hotel front desks, was in the lobby, and asked me, “Could you tell me where the lobby is?” There was an awkward pause as I looked at him and finally said, “Ummm, you’re in the lobby.”
- A man I was booking a reservation for on the phone asked me if his room would have a bed.
- “Can you guarantee that no pet has ever been in this hotel room?”
- A guest wanted to know what time the 24-hour gym opened.
- “I only am staying half a day, can’t I pay for just half a day?”
- That time I had to show a guy how to use a doorknob.
- “How do I turn off the alarm clock?” Which in itself isn’t too bad, but he followed up with, “I see a switch with On, Off, Music, and Radio; which one do I put it to, to make sure it’s off?”
- “How much does the free continental breakfast cost?”
- A guest wanted a wake-up call and it was when DST changed over and this was the question: “I’d like a wake-up call for 6AM, but will it be the actual 6AM or the new 6AM?”
- Guest: “Hi, we’ve just had our breakfast in bed delivered to the room. Is it okay if we eat it on the chair by the desk, and not actually on the bed?”
- The woman who came to the front desk holding the TV remote control and asked how a call could be made with this weird ‘telephone.’
- A guest called from inside the room as he couldn’t find the door to get out. I told him that there was only one door, to which the guest replied, “yes, but it has a do not disturb sign on it.”
- “Oh you’re not part of notmybrand’s rewards program. Can I still get points on my notmybrand’s rewards program?”
- A guest once asked me how to get ice out of the ice machine.
- The guy that called down and asked how the shower curtain works. I was like “Uhhh you pull it?” And he says “no, like does it go inside or outside the tub?”
“Can I use this computer?” Pointing at the business center computer surrounded with signs that make it obvious that it is for customer-use.
- “Can I hold a brainstorming session with your hotel team?”
- I got a friend request from a guest at the hotel where I work. Awkward!
- The guest who arrived at midnight and was upset because check out is at 11am. He wanted to be able to keep the room for 24 hours.
- “Can I pay for a room with food stamps?”
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Want to sponsor a post, write something for Your Mileage May Vary or put ads on our site? Click here for more info.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and sign up to get emailed notifications of when we post.
Whether you’ve read our articles before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary