Home Rental Cars How Car Rental Companies Are Responding To COVID

How Car Rental Companies Are Responding To COVID

by SharonKurheg

We’ve all read article after article about what airlines and hotels say they’ve been doing to maintain cleanliness. However car rental companies have also changed their protocols to keep things as clean as possible.

Founded in 2013, DiscoverCars.com is an international car rental website that provides rental car reservations. In mid-June, they surveyed nearly 400 of their partner companies around the world to see what they were doing in response to the COVID pandemic, in order to keep their customers safe.

Here’s what they found out:

  • 84% of the car rental companies said they were doing special and/or enhanced sanitation on each of their cars across all locations to protect the wellbeing of their customers.
  • 27% of them offering additional COVID-19 protection for free. These include hand sanitizer (60%), masks (46%), wipes (17%) and gloves (10%)
  • 12% said they provide (similar) items for COVID protection, but at an additional cost.

Depending on the country and its requirements, some companies are also requesting that, before they rent their car, customers sign a form stating they don’t have symptoms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, and haven’t been in close contact with anyone who does. In some countries, renters must show a doctor’s note that says the don’t have COVID. Along with that, if a customer does report symptoms when they return the car, many car rental companies are placing their vehicles in quarantine for a period of time until they can be sanitized and safely rented out again.

DiscoverCars.com reports that COVID-19 protection is currently the third-most-popular request from customers in its booking system (4 percent), behind only automatic transmission (10 percent) and tying with air conditioning (4 percent). The website also mentions that online check-ins and contactless handovers are becoming more popular with rental car customers.

Frankly, I’m not super impressed with some of those statistics. I mean, it’s great if 84% say they’ve changed how they sanitize their cars, but what about the other 16%? (shudder)

But that’s just a survey. Here’s what the major rental car companies in the U.S. say they’re doing:

Stay safe, travel friends!

#stayhealthy #staysafe #washyourhands #wearamask

Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and get emailed notifications of when we post. Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group – we have 14,000+ members and we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!

This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary

Leave a Reply

Stay Updated

* indicates required




Want to keep up to date with our latest posts?

* indicates required




BoardingArea
%d bloggers like this: