Home Travel Tech The Danger Of Using Noise Canceling Headphones On A Plane

The Danger Of Using Noise Canceling Headphones On A Plane

by joeheg

When traveling on an airplane, there are many reasons people wear noise-canceling headphones. Maybe you’re flying on an airline where you need to bring your own in-flight-entertainment or you’d just prefer to binge-watch your own shows instead of depending on a random episode or two that the airline offers on their IFE.

You also might want to listen to some podcasts or relaxing music without having to worry about hearing engine noise for the whole flight or worst-case scenario, you need to drown out the sound of a crying child from the row behind you.

However, one thing you’ll miss out on when you’re wearing noise-canceling-headphones is the flight announcements.

If you’re watching or listening to the IFE, any announcement from the flight attendants or the flight deck will preempt whatever you’re hearing on your headphones. At the beginning of the flight, you’ll miss the captain’s greeting and what to expect from your flight (duration, flight conditions and weather at your destination.) During the flight, the flight attendants will announce the beginning of cabin service as well as letting you know about the wonderful co-brand credit card that several passengers have already asked about. The captain or first officer might also come on during the flight to alert passengers of upcoming turbulence and requesting passengers to remain in their seats with the seatbelt fastened. At the end of the flight, you’ll get the announcement about the plane getting ready to land so you have to put away your bags and bring your seat to the full and upright position.

You might be thinking about why it’s so bad to miss these messages? Should you have to stop watching 30-Day Fiancee just to hear that you’re flying over the Grand Canyon?

It turns out that it’s the announcements you’re not expecting that could be the most important. If the plane is approaching a pocket of turbulence, that’s information I want to know beforehand because I might need to visit the lavatory after finishing my liter bottle of water.

What if you’re going to be stuck in a holding pattern for the next 30 minutes waiting for a storm that’s currently over the airport to clear. If you’re getting a ride, you’d be able to contact whoever is picking you up and let them know, that is if the plane’s Wi-Fi is working.

I’ve tried to catch messages when I hear them through the noise-canceling but by the time I take off the headphones, the message is half over. Even worse, if I managed to nod off for a quick nap and wake up after the message is done. Not only am I no longer sleeping, I still don’t know what was said.

I just hope that if it was REALLY IMPORTANT, the passengers around me would let me know what happened.

Having your movie or TV show pause can be annoying, but I’d rather hear the announcements instead of listening to my own media. The best-case scenario is that the aircraft allows me to use my own headphones to hook into its IFE system (no funky plugs, thank you.) That way I get the noise canceling capability and will still hear the announcements.

Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and get emailed notifications of when we post. Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group – we have 14,000+ members and we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!

This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary

2 comments

bobo July 18, 2020 - 4:35 pm

Yeah, no – you won’t miss those announcements.

I can say with absolute certainty that 90% of my noise-cancelling headphone use consists of noise-cancelling only, and the other 10% is used for IFE.

100% of the time, the announcements are loud enough to still get through my Bose qc-25 over-ear headphones. And if I’m seated right under the PA, the announcements are piercingly loud. I’ve never missed a single one of these announcements, not for lack of trying.

Reply
Dipika July 28, 2020 - 11:30 am

I am totally agree with your point. one should not use noise canceling headphones in flight.

Reply

Leave a Reply

Stay Updated

* indicates required




Want to keep up to date with our latest posts?

* indicates required




BoardingArea
%d bloggers like this: