Happy Sunday to all of our travel friends, both near and far! Here are some articles we’ve read from other bloggers (and other sources) that we think you may like, as well, so we’re passing them along.
- The first post I’m sharing this week isn’t new but I just came across it on Twitter. I recently wrote about how I love the show “Come From Away” and one scene of the show is a ceremony where they make honorary Newfoundlanders of the passengers stranded there due to 9/11. Turns out this is a real thing and CuriousClaire wrote about how she took part in a “screeching in”ceremony. Now part of me really wants to go there (Note from Sharon: I’m in!).
- Going to possibly the absolute opposite of Newfoundland, Nick from Frequent Miler is doing research for the 40K to Far Away and he found the best award sweet spot no one seems to know about (until now). Hint – it has to do with palm trees, beaches and 7,500-mile award tickets.
- Switching gears, imagine how terrible the airport experience would have been in the late 1700s. Ben (Lucky) from One Mile at a Time shared a story about a trending theme on Twitter called #RevolutionaryWarAirportStories.
- There are some great places to eat at airports, like One Flew South in Atlanta. There are also a bunch of amazingly mediocre to downright terrible places to eat as well, such as the now-closed Zatarain’s Kitchen in New Orleans. Gary from View from the Wing took one for the team and had what he’s calling the “Worst lobster roll of his life”.
- I have a rule that I won’t watch comedy shows I’ve never seen before on planes because there’s just too much chance of uncontrollable laughter. When you’re laughing to yourself in a small place with no sound, people tend to give looks. This post on Travel Update is along those same lines making the argument for why you shouldn’t watch sappy movies while flying.
- Andy from Andy’s Travel Blog shared information about a fundraiser sponsored by Stand up to Cancer, who is partnering with American Airlines. If you have someone’s in your life who’s battled against this terrible disease, for a donation of $25 and up you can put their name on a plane. We plan on donating because, well because simply put, cancer sucks.
- We’ve written about things to do when you’re on a plane. Like how to keep your feet from swelling or if you should wear sunscreen when sitting at a window seat. Mark from Miles to Memories shares the one slightly odd thing he does first thing when getting onto a plane.
- Finally, China is one of those places very, very far down on our list of places to visit. This story from Ed on Pizza in Motion about Chinese authorities connecting your smartphones to handheld devices and installing an app that looks at your personal information when entering the country makes it even less likely we’ll visit there in the near future.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary