If you’re a wine lover, or even if you just appreciate wine, the annual Cellars In The Sky awards, presented by Business Traveler, are always something to look forward to. Well, wait no more because the 2018 award winners have finally been announced!
Running since 1985 (this was its 33rd year), the annual awards recognize the best wines, served by airlines worldwide, in business and first class. This year the awards were presented in London by Charles Metcalfe, co-chairman of the International Wine Challenge, at The Langham.
Qantas was the big winner of the evening, with a grand total of SIX Gold Medals for:
- Best Overall Cellar
- Best First Class Wine
- Best First Class Sparkling (they shared this honor with Air France and Cathay Pacific)
- Best First Class Cellar
- Best-Presented First Class Wine List
- Best Business Class Fortified/Dessert Wine
Cathy Pacific won two Gold Medals, for the aforementioned Best First class Sparkling, as well as Best Business Class Red.
Malaysia Airlines got the top spot for Best First Class Red, while ANA got the Gold Medal for Best First Class Fortified/Dessert Wine. Not to be outdone, Qatar Airways won first place for Best Business Class Sparkling.
Best Airline Alliance award was given to Oneworld and one of its member carriers, British Airways, got the Gold Medal for Best Business Class Cellar.
The big excitement for the U.S.-based airlines was that JetBlue got the Gold Medal for Best Business Class Wine – a first for the low-cost carrier.
Thirty-three airlines participated in this year’s competition.
Here’s the full list of winners, as per Business Traveler:
BEST FIRST CLASS RED
- Gold Medal: Malaysia Airlines – Joseph Drouhin Côte de Beaune 2015, Burgundy, France
- Silver Medal: American Airlines – Paul Hobbs Pinot Noir Russian River Valley 2016, Sonoma County, US
- Bronze Medal (joint): ANA – Château Léoville Barton 2012, Saint-Julien, Bordeaux, France; Qatar Airways – Château Ducru-Beaucaillou 2009, Saint-Julien, Bordeaux, France
BEST FIRST CLASS WHITE
- Gold Medal: Qantas – Penfolds Reserve Bin 15A Chardonnay 2015, Adelaide Hills, Australia
- Silver Medal: Qantas – Flametree SRS Wallcliffe Chardonnay 2016, Margaret River, Australia
- Bronze Medal (joint): Cathay Dragon – Lamblin and Fils Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaumes, 2016, France; Malaysia Airlines – Palliser Estate Chardonnay 2016, Martinborough, New Zealand
BEST FIRST CLASS SPARKLING
- Gold Medal (joint): Air France, Cathay Pacific, Qantas –Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs 2006, Franc
- Silver Medal (joint): ANA, Qatar Airways – Champagne Krug 2004, France; Singapore Airlines – Dom Pérignon 2006, Champagne, France
- Bronze Medal: Oman Air –Champagne Louis Roederer Cristal, Brut, 2009, France
BEST FIRST CLASS FORTIFIED/DESSERT WINE
- Gold Medal: ANA – Barbeito Madeira Malvasia 20 year old, Portugal
- Silver Medal: Cathay Pacific – Warre’s Otima Single Year Tawny Colheita Port 2006, Portugal
- Bronze Medal: Qantas – Morris of Rutherglen Wines Old Premium Rare Liqueur Muscat, Australia
BEST-PRESENTED FIRST CLASS WINE LIST
- Gold Medal: Qantas
- Highly Commended: ANA
BEST FIRST CLASS CELLAR
- Gold Medal: Qantas
- Silver Medal: ANA
- Bronze Medal: Cathay Pacific
BEST BUSINESS CLASS RED
- Gold Medal: Cathay Pacific – Elderton Shiraz 2015, Barossa Valley, Australia
- Silver Medal: Air New Zealand – Lowburn Ferry Home Block Pinot Noir 2014, Central Otago, New Zealand
- Bronze Medal: Air Italy – Olianas Perdixi 2016, Gergei, Sardinia, Italy
BEST BUSINESS CLASS WHITE
- Gold Medal: Jetblue – Sandhi Sta. Rita Hills Chardonnay 2015, California, US
- Silver Medal: Aer Lingus – De Bortoli La Bohème Act One Riesling, 2016, Yarra Valley, Australia
- Bronze Medal: Oman Air – Pascal Jolivet Sancerre Montagu 2016, France
BEST BUSINESS CLASS SPARKLING
- Gold Medal: Qatar Airways – Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, Blanc de Blancs 2006, France
- Silver Medal: EVA Air – Delamotte Blanc de Blancs 2007, Champagne, France
- Bronze Medal: Malaysia Airlines – Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, Blanc de Blancs 2007, France
BEST BUSINESS CLASS FORTIFIED/ DESSERT WINE
- Gold Medal: Qantas – Baileys of Glenrowan Founder Series Classic Muscat, Victoria, Australia
- Silver Medal: Air New Zealand – Forrest Botrytised Riesling 2016, Wairau Valley, Marlborough, New Zealand
- Bronze Medal (joint): Oman Air – Château Guiraud 1er Grand Cru Classé en 1855, 2014, Sauternes-Barsac, France; Aeroflot – Grahams 10 Year Old Tawny Port, NV, Porto Duro, Portugal
BEST BUSINESS CLASS CELLAR
- Gold Medal: British Airways
- Silver Medal: Qatar Airways
- Bronze Medal: Jetblue
BEST-PRESENTED BUSINESS CLASS WINE LIST
- Gold Medal: EVA Air
BEST AIRLINE ALLIANCE
BEST OVERALL CELLAR
- Gold Medal: Qantas
- Silver Medal: Cathay Pacific
- Bronze Medal: ANA, Qatar Airways
- Highly Commended: American Airlines
Happy drinking, y’all!
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary