It’s been forever since I’ve searched for a college scholarship but the one thing I recall the most was the vast array of different types of scholarships you can be eligible for. I mean, they were (and still are!) all over the place! They have scholarships for people who are left-handed. If you’re Catholic and your last name is Zolp (or if your last name is Gatlin or Gatling, regardless of your religion). If you’re tall (I sure wasn’t eligible for that one!). If you’re short (Hello!). If you’re interested in studying vacuum coating technology or parapsychology. For students who have a parent in prison. If you’re a twin and both twins go to Lake Erie College (they literally get a BOGOF offer). And the list goes on and on.
Well, I recently discovered there’s a scholarship that’s for travel – specifically international travel. Here’s more info…
HI (Hostel International) USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that awarded 104 Explore The World Scholarships in 2018 to young people across the U.S. so they, could, for example, learn Arabic in Jordan, volunteer in India and Vietnam, teach math in the Dominican Republic, or board a plane for the very first time to study abroad in Europe.
In 2019, they plan to award 86+ of these $2000 scholarships to would-be international travelers across the U.S. who need some help to make their travel dreams come true.
Interested in applying? Here are the details:
To be considered for the Explore the World Travel Scholarship, candidates must:
- Be 18 – 30 years of age at the time of application
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident (possess Green Card)
- Demonstrate financial need by meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Current Pell Grant recipient
- 2018 income level that does not exceed 300% of the 2018 Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Reside or attend school in one of the select metropolitan areas where HI USA has a community presence:
CALIFORNIA MINNESOTA Los Angeles
Minneapolis/St. Paul DC/MARYLAND NEW YORK DC/Baltimore Metro New York City ILLINOIS OREGON Greater Chicago Portland LOUISIANA TEXAS New Orleans Austin
MASSACHUSETTS VIRGINIA Boston Richmond
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel
- Plan to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States between May 15, 2019 and August 31, 2020 that incorporates education, volunteerism or service learning.
If you decide to apply, GOOD LUCK!
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary