2019 is well on its way and that means it’s time for some of us to start looking into summer camps. I don’t mean for kids – I mean for grown-ups! What if I told you there’s such a place as Camp Bacon®? And what if I told you they’re taking reservations RIGHT NOW?
2019 will mark Zingerman’s 10th annual Camp Bacon® and it sounds like a pork lover’s paradise. From their website:
Zingerman’s Camp Bacon® is a food lover’s camp. It is a food historian’s camp. It is a camp that fills your mind as much as your stomach. We love to taste the bacon and don’t get us wrong, you will leave having tasted a lot of bacon, but we are there to share the story behind the bacon. We share with you new ways to appreciate bacon and talk about how what we feed the animal impacts the flavor of the meat you are eating. The passion of our guest speakers is edible, you can literally taste the hard work and love they put into their bacon and dishes. Join us!
Located in Ann Arbor, MI, Camp Bacon® is a fundraiser for the Southern Foodways Alliance. It’ll run from Wednesday, May 29th through Sunday, June 2nd, with a variety of bacony goodness events to choose from:
- The Main Event
($195 per person): Fascinating speakers. Breakfast & lunch. So. Much. Bacon! This all-day event is packed with lots of learning, a whole lot of laughing and, of course, all the bacon you can eat! Bacon lovers from around the globe trek to the Camp Bacon® Main Event each year to meet and eat and share their love for really good cured pork in a day filled with presentations by bacon producers, food experts, and a few fun surprise guests.
- Camp Bacon® Film Festival (ticketing not yet available – last year cost was $35 per person): The Camp Bacon Film Fest will feature 6 fascinating films by Southern Foodways Alliance. A discussion and audience Q&A will follow. This is a family-friendly event suitable for kids 12 and up. $10 of the ticket price will be donated to Southern Foodways.
- The 10th Annual Bacon Ball: Every year, they host a big dinner at the Roadhouse with a special guest. More info to follow!
- Bakin’ with Bacon at BAKE! ($100 per person): We’ll be using the power of bacon to flavor three amazing baked goods, all in honor of Zingerman’s Guide to Better Bacon (available at all Zingerman’s locations). You’ll make rich bacon cheddar scones and sweet-and-salty bacon pecan sandy cookies. Then we’ll take you to hog heaven with a demonstration of our potato bacon strudel. Try and contain yourself.You’ll leave BAKE! with our recipes, the knowledge to recreate them at home, all the food you made in class and great coupons. Head up that although they hold this event on 3 consecutive days (May 29, May 31 and June 1), there are’t may slots left!
- Camp Bacon Brunch: Details TBA
- Camp Bacon® Street Fair (FREE!): Come on down to the market—just a block down from the Deli and Miss Kim!—to celebrate great pork with a three-hour street fair with an array of vendors selling, sampling and showcasing all things bacon. It’s a great way to have lunch, sample new bacon fares, or just have some fun with bacon-based games for kids of all ages.
Interested? Here’s a video for the 2017 Camp Bacon®:
You can find more information about Camp Bacon® on their website.
Ann Arbor is a beautiful part of the country, so if you decide to go, make sure to take lots of pictures. Oh, and probably bring shorts with an elastic waistband! 😉
Photos via http://www.zingermanscampbacon.com
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary