Hi y’all! Here are some travel articles we’ve read this week that we thought you might find interesting!
- Mommy Points featured an article by Grandma Points which pointed out some new hidden gems at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.
- Per Doctor of Credit, Chase is removing the price protection and return protection benefits from all of its credit cards, including the $450 annual fee Sapphire Reserve. If you have any purchases coming up that may go down in price, it might be best to use another card.
- A real-life Hogwarts is opening this summer and it looks AMAZING.
- Another Harry Potter article that tickled our fancy – Michael Gavin from Inside the Magic wrote an in-depth report on all the “Wizarding Waterholes” in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Jon from No Mas Coach is one of the biggest fans of Alaska Airlines that I know, so I was sad, but not surprised, when I saw him write that Alaska will be starting to sell basic economy tickets. Alaska seems to be playing catch up with the other airlines as they just changed their baggage rules as well.
- I know this isn’t miles and points related but if you didn’t hear, Amazon.com will be increasing the price of Amazon Prime from $99 to $119 a year on May 11 for new memberships and for renewals after June 16th. Miles to Memories writes about a way you can lock in your prime membership at the lower price, if you’re willing to pay for it now.
- Lucky from One Mile At A Time lives in hotels full time, so it was a surprise to read about how he almost let a free night certificate that could be used at any Hyatt hotel expire. It’s a trap we all can fall into. When you try to maximize value, you don’t use benefits because there will be a more valuable place to use it later on. It just goes to show that the old saying about a bird in the hand often comes true.
- If you’ve flown to LaGuardia airport, you know that taking public transportation to/from there is a nightmare. Seth from Wandering Aramean writes about how the proposed AirTrain has hit a snag as the neighbors to the possible train have won a fight to keep it from their backyard. I mean, they live right near a major highway and airport but a train will negatively impact quality of life in Queens? OK, whatevs.
- Watermark Online reports that starting in 2019, GayDayS at Walt Disney World will switch from June to August. From what I’ve seen, there are mixed opinions about that on the internets. We’ll see what happens.
- Southwest Airlines announced the locations it will be flying TO in Hawaii. I love seeing that they’ll have flights to four different islands.
- Gary from View from the Wing is continuing his crusade against shower wall mounted soap and shampoo dispensers. His quest has hit a snag as Marriott is enforcing that these dispensers be installed at all of their managed North American Properties. Keep fighting the good fight Gary! We’re with you!
- One final reminder, don’t be the person who brings an apple from the plane through customs. You may get fined and also lose your Global Entry status.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!