For one week in April, the National Park Foundation (that’s the official charity of the United States’ national parks) celebrates our country’s treasures…our national parks. This year the big event commonly known as National Park Week will be held April 21 through April 29 and to celebrate, national parks across the country will host a bunch of special events! Take a look at this awesome schedule they have scheduled!
April 21 (Saturday)
- Free Entrance Day in the National Parks – This is one out of the just 4 days a year that all national parks will be entry fee-free!
- National Junior Ranger Day – There’s finally going to be a KIDS’ DAY at our national parks, and it will be all wrapped around their Junior Ranger Program!
- Volunteer Day (it’s part of the National Parks Service’s National Volunteer Week)!
April 22 (Sunday)
- Earth Day! Need I say more? 🙂
April 28 (Saturday)
April 29 (Sunday)
Did You Know These Things About The National Parks Service?
- National parks aren’t just the big, well-known parks like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Yosemite. They also include small, local parks such as the African Burial Grounds in NYC, the Dry Tortugas in Key West, FL, Pullman National Monument in Chicago, IL and the Pony Express National Historic Trail that runs through parts of CA, CO, KS, MO, ME, NV, UT and WY. You can go to this page of the NPS’s website to see what national parks are in your state!
- The NPS has a whole slew of special events that you can tap into to help you plan your visits. This page can get you started!
- Through the 2017 to 2018 school year, the NPS is sponsoring the KID IN A PARK program where U.S. fourth-graders (or home-school equivalent) students can get a pass that gets them into all national parks for FREE through August, 2018! Click here to learn how! (we also have info about this in our YMMV Travel Deals)
And While We’re Talking About National Parks…
No one is quite sure why, but as of this writing, the El Tovar Hotel, the historic hotel on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, has rooms available for this summer!
All of the Grand Canyon National Park Lodges (El Tovar Hotel, Bright Angel Lodge & Cabins, Kachina Lodge, Thunderbird Lodge and Maswik Lodge) usually fill up literally 1+ years in advance. But right now, El Tovar, Grand Canyon’s grandest hotel and one of the crown jewels of the national parks, is experiencing something rare: available rooms in the summer. That’s right, the in-park hotel that has hosted presidents, foreign dignitaries, and celebrities has rooms available on select dates July through early September 2018.
“Majestically perched just steps from the canyon’s rim and instantly recognizable due to its architectural blend of Swiss chalet and Norwegian villa styles, El Tovar offers its guests not only the most glamorous rooms in the park, but also access to the best dining in the Grand Canyon region. Come discover for yourself what has made El Tovar the premier lodge in the region since 1905.”
Click here to book today! History tells us that these rooms won’t be available for long…
Our national parks are treasures that should be protected and preserved…but also visited. Enjoy your visit!
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top (if you’re on your computer) or the bottom (if you’re on your phone/tablet) of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just two or three times a day). Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group, where we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!