The year 2018 is almost here and that means it’s time for some of us to start looking into summer camps. I don’t mean for kids – I mean for grown ups! What if I told you there’s such a place as Camp Bacon® ? And what if I told you they’re taking reservations RIGHT NOW?
2018 will mark Zingerman’s 9th annual Camp Bacon® and it sounds like a pork lover’s paradise. From their website:
Zingerman’s Camp Bacon® is a food lover’s camp. It is a food historian’s camp. It is a camp that fills your mind as much as your stomach. We love to taste the bacon and don’t get us wrong, you will leave having tasted a lot of bacon, but we are there to share the story behind the bacon. We share with you new ways to appreciate bacon and talk about how what we feed the animal impacts the flavor of the meat you are eating. The passion of our guest speakers is edible, you can literally taste the hard work and love they put into their bacon and dishes. Join us!
Located in Ann Arbor, MI, Camp Bacon® is a fundraiser for the Southern Foodways Alliance. It’ll will run from Wednesday, May 30th through Saturday, June 2nd, with a variety of bacony goodness events to choose from:
- The Main Event
($195 per person): Fascinating speakers. Breakfast & lunch. So. Much. Bacon! In support of the Southern Foodways Alliance. An all-day event filled with meaty speakers, lots of learning, a whole lot of laughing and, of course, all the bacon you can eat! Bacon lovers from around the globe trek to the Camp Bacon Main Event to meet and eat and share their love for really good cured pork in a day filled with presentations by bacon producers, food experts, and a few fun surprise guests.
- Camp Bacon® Film Festival ($35 per person): Showcasing films produced by the Southern Foodways Alliance. Wine, beer and cocktails available for purchase.
- The 9th Annual Bacon Ball with Rick Bayless ($95 per person): Every year, we host a big dinner at the Roadhouse with a special guest. This year, we are excited to welcome James Beard Award-winning chef Rick Bayless! The owner of 9 restaurants, he is also a winner of the Julia Child Foundation Award, a prestigious honor given to “an individual who has made a profound and significant impact on the way America cooks, eats and drinks.” Many know him from his highly rated television show, Mexico–One Plate at a Time, and for winning the title of Bravo’s Top Chef Masters. He has written nine cookbooks, the fourth, Mexico–One Plate at a Time, won the James Beard Best International Cookbook of the Year award in 2001. The 9th annual Bacon Ball will be a night to remember, as Rick Bayless and Roadhouse head chef, Bob Bennett, prepare an unforgettable feast!
- Bakin’ with Bacon at BAKE! ($125 per person): We’ll be using the power of bacon to flavor three amazing baked goods, all in honor of Zingerman’s Guide to Better Bacon (available at all Zingerman’s locations). You’ll make a similar version of our wildly popular peppered bacon farm bread, bacon cheddar scones found in the book, and sweet and salty bacon pecan sandy cookies. We’ll take you to hog heaven with a demonstration of our maple glazed bacon apple doughnuts. Try and contain yourself. You’ll leave BAKE! with our recipes, the knowledge to recreate them at home, two loaves of bread, a dozen scones, three dozen cookies and great coupons.
- Biscuit Lover Breakfast ($50 per person): Held at Zingerman’s Greyline, a delicious way to end a week of great food and friends, hosted by Karl Worley, chef/owner of Biscuit Love in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Camp Bacon® Street Fair (FREE!): Come on down to the market—just a block down from the Deli and Miss Kim!—to celebrate great pork with a three-hour street fair with an array of vendors selling, sampling and showcasing all things bacon. It’s a great way to have lunch, sample new bacon fares, or just have some fun with bacon-based games for kids of all ages.
Interested? Here’s a video for the 2017 Camp Bacon®:
You can find more information about Camp Bacon® on their website.
Ann Arbor is a beautiful part of the country, so if you decide to go, make sure to take lots of pictures. Oh, and probably bring shorts with an elastic waistband! 😉
Photos via http://www.zingermanscampbacon.com
Like this post? We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just once or twice a day). Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!