Attention all witches and wizards, and even you muggles and squibs! Did you know there’s a weekend long HARRY POTTER PARTY in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the United States next month? Everyone’s invited! And, get this…it’s FREE! Well, maybe not 100% free…you may need to shell out a few Knuts, Sickles and Galleons for stuff here or there. But it’s free to walk around and see the sights and a little money here and there to buy some ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s or to buy a House Sword is a small price to pay for an event like this!
Here’s more info…
The Queen City Potter Party started in July 2016 in Staunton, Virginia and was so popular that they’re doing it again, this September 22-24, with the promise that it will be even bigger and better than last year!
“With a touch of wizardry, the historic downtown is transformed into the village of Hogsmeade. Local businesses reinvent themselves offering Harry Potter themed shopping, dining and hands-on activities for all ages. “Potterheads” can experiment with potions at Slugs and Jiggers, enjoy butter beer at Three Broomsticks or try their hand at wild beast taming at the Magickal Menagerie. Visitors are greeted by Norberta the Dragon, where selfies and costumes are encouraged. Unlock the secrets of Diagon Alley using our Marauder’s Map. Explore our walkable downtown, while taking on the task of Horcrux Hunting using the free app, Traipse, which will help you find them all… and a few treasures along the way.”
Besides Norberta, other photo ops will include:
- Platform 9 3/4 awaits your arrival at Rachel’s Quilt Patch
- Become a Mandrake at Honeydukes (Paris Cake Company)
- Be cautious of the Goblins at Gringotts Wizards Bank (Suntrust)
- Flying Cornish Pixies in Florish and Blotts (Black Swan Books)
- A Life Size Prisoner of Azkaban Wanted Poster
- Front page of the Daily Prophet
The storefronts in the historic Downtown District will become the buildings of the Wizarding Universe. Some activities and locations include:
- The Room of Requirement (Visitor’s Center): Get your Marauders Map, sign in, and earn points for your Hogwarts house in the house cup competition. Lost & found. Visitor information.
- Hagrid’s Hut (Artful Gifts): A labrynth of Potter fun winds around the stone walls of Hagrid’s Hut. Find the beautiful felted dragon at the midway spot, pull a dragon toothed rune and have Professor Bathsheda Babbling interpret it for you. Have your tarot read by appointment and get your own Staunton themed tarot deck to take home. Daily raffles…your entry ticket is your raffle ticket!
- Malfoy Manor (Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library): Help! Lucius Malfoy needs to collect all of his Dark Artefacts to hide before the Ministry of Magic raids his house again! Enjoy various scavenger hunt levels for every age of wizards and witches!
- Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes (Pufferbellies): Shop for marvels of modern magic + muggle pranks galore! Wands, souvenirs, bath bombs and lots more. Fun activities for kids all weekend long.
The Three Broomsticks, The Chamber of Secrets, Carkitt Market, Godric’s Hollow, Honeydukes and many other locations covered in the Harry Potter series of books will also be included during this 3-day event.
Like this post? We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just once or twice a day). Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!