I know I usually write about how to maximize travel with miles and points and reviews about our travels. However, I’m always looking for a way to save a buck here and there, and this offer was just too good to not to pass on to everyone.
American Express Membership Rewards and Amazon.com partner and allow you to use your AMEX points to pay for purchases on Amazon. Normally this is a HORRIBLE use of your AMEX membership rewards points. Buying merchandise is one of the worst values for your points and with Amazon.com you get 0.7 cents per Membership Rewards point.
Still, there are times when linking your AMEX account with Amazon makes sense, and this is one of those times.
There are currently two offers out there when you pay for your Amazon purchase with American Express Membership Rewards points:
- $25 off a $50 purchase if paying with at least 1 Membership Rewards point
- $30 off a $60 purchase if paying with at least 1 Membership Rewards point
The reason this offer is so good is if you are eligible for both offers, you can make a $60 purchase and pay $4.99. Don’t believe me? Here’s my receipt.
Now I wasn’t eligible for the offer, but Sharon was and we purchased a $60 e-gift card for Whole Foods from Amazon.
Signing up for the offer is easy but you need to follow some steps:
- Log into your Amazon.com account
- Go to this link to see if you are eligible for the offer. If you are, clip the offer to your account.
- If you are eligible, go to this link to connect your Membership Rewards account to Amazon.com
- Add $60 worth of eligible items from Amazon to your cart
- Pay $0.01 cents of your bill with Membership Rewards points and the rest with your American Express card
- Enter Promotion Code AMEX17PRIME into the checkout page
This is an overly simplified explanation of what to do. If you are looking for a step by step instructions, I’d start at the website that I got this tip from, Doctor of Credit.
As with all of these offers, it’s better to act now, as you never know when they’ll get taken down. I hope you’re able to take advantage of this like we did!
Like this post? We have plenty more just like it and would love if you decided to hang around and clicked the button on the top of this page to follow our blog and get emailed notifications of when we post (it’s usually just once or twice a day). Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!