What is a DORK note? Back when home computers were new, the internet was not a thing yet, and you connected to a message board by using a phone modem, Sharon and I were obsessive Disney fans. A group of us would write these detailed trip reports each time we went to Walt Disney World. They eventually became known as Disney Obsessive Record Keeping notes, or DORK notes for short. Even though I’m not writing about Disney trips any more (back then we lived in the northeast US but now we live 15 minutes away from WDW), I’m gonna keep calling them DORK notes for the sake of nostalgia.
Sharon and I just finished a very quick trip to NYC. We left on a Friday morning and returned late Sunday night. We don’t usually take such short trips but there was one reason we went to New York just for a weekend.
That’s right. While I confidently say I do have the greater tech skills in the family, Sharon has GoogleFu skills which outshine mine. When we saw Hamilton on Broadway a year ago last November, we decided we needed to see it again. That became quite a difficult task since it had become the hardest ticket to get since……well since we were alive.
My schedule currently gives me alternate long weekends off from work. So our plan was that when/if Sharon found tickets available, she would get them for a weekend I was off. It was then up to me to make the trip work.
Well, Sharon got tickets and I started planning. I’ll break the trip up into segments because I think each one is interesting on its own merits.
- How will we get to New York? Oh, hello companion ticket!
- How we choose what hotels to stay at in Times Square (and why did we end up staying somewhere way more expensive than what we would usually pay).
- Hotel Review: The Towers of the Waldorf Astoria New York
- To Uber, Taxi or Subway? That is the question.
- Why we had never been to Harlem before and what we did when we went there.
- How I earned more Delta miles for dinner and hotel than I did for my flights.
- Why I think everyone needs to see Sleep No More at least once.
Keep following for the updates.